Saturday, July 11, 2009

We're back

It was a fantastic trip. We rode roller coasters, went to the beach, rode more roller coasters, played in water parks and pools and more beaches and saw a lot of animals and spent time just hanging out and relaxing with my favorite person in the world. I really didn't want to leave, not only because the 27 hour drive home was much less appealing to me than the drive out, but because I felt very comfortable, and at peace there, I always do. I'm still getting used to being 'home'. It was so nice to be away for a while and pretend that the pressures here don't exist. But, now, it's back to reality, and yard work and preparations for school. I was dismayed when I walked into our local store tonight and found they already had school supplies out on the shelves. I still have almost a month of summer left! :)

When I got back, I had a yard full of weeds to pull and mowing to do in the back (a neighbor mowed the front while I was gone so it would at least look like someone was sort of here). As I was pulling weeds one morning this week, I was again reminded of how a physical garden is a good metaphor for our spiritual lives. Left untended for a while, weeds crop up and choke out the good plants. It's a lot easier to weed it daily and only have a few minutes work to do, rather than having a marathon weed pulling session that takes hours. It was a gentle reminder to me, that I need to be taking care of my spiritual 'garden' every day too.

No comments: