Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A new leaf


No, really.. I have new leaves ALL over my yard this week after hours of raking last weekend... but I digress. This really isn't about that. Nor is it about the election held here yesterday which ran on a campaign of 'change' for America. (Change just for the sake of change is not always a good thing).

This is about me. (Of course it is, this is MY blog after all!) Something has changed over the last few months, and I'm not sure what. I have less enthusiasm about just about everything in my life. I honestly don't care about doing much more than making it through another day. So, today, I decided I was tired of living that way.. and made my own personal change.

They say to 'fake it till you feel it' in some instances, and that's exactly what I attempted today. I attempted to be cheerful, to be interested in what was going on within and outside of my classroom. I walked briskly and with purpose, and I tried to turn over a new leaf. I've been fighting 'burnout' in education this year fiercely. I need something different to happen. I think that something different needs to be me.

I'm still figuring this out, so it may take a while, but at least getting through another school day wasn't as painful as pulling out my fingernails one by one. It's got to get better.. or I've got to find another profession.

No comments: